2007 Hunger Mountain Coop Council
Running for Coop Council
Any and all Member-Owners are encouraged to run for Coop Council. Coop Council members are actively involved in shaping the direction of our co-op. As a Council member you will have the opportunity to learn more about The Coop while offering your leadership skills and focusing on long-range, Big Picture ideas. You’ll work with other talented and energetic individuals and be able to make a lasting contribution to Hunger Mountain Coop. Council members (and their partners) also receive a 10% discount off most Coop purchases. Not sure whether it's right for you? Check out an upcoming Council meeting and see one in action! (They happen once per month and are listed on our events page).
How to Run for Coop Council
1. Are you a Member-Owner in good standing (up to date on your equity payments)? Great! That is the first thing you'll need to do.
2. Pick up a Council Petition at The Coop or download one online (available at the end of August).
3. Gather signatures on your Petition and return it to Member-Owner Services by the September deadline (the exact date is noted on the petition). Be sure to include a photograph and a 200 word statement of why you'd like to be elected to the Coop Council.
4. Your statement, photo, and name will be included in the Annual Meeting packet/ballots that are mailed out to Member-Owners in October.
5. Member-Owners cast their ballots up until 12 noon on the day of the Annual Meeting (in early November), and the winners are announced by the end of the Annual Meeting that same day.
The Council is elected at the Annual Meeting (typically the first week of November) and the officers (President, Vice President, etc) are elected at the first regular Council Meeting that follows. Council Members are elected to 3-year terms. Any Member-Owner in good standing can run for the Coop Council, and all Member-Owners are encouraged to run. In the case of a midyear opening, the Council may appoint a Member-Owner to serve until the next election.
Council Petition and Information
Contact a Current Coop Council Member
Coop Council Resources Page